Early Retirement and and fat little hippo -what more can a girl ask for?!? Well, I got it!
I didn't really ASK for the early retirement, actually, I was a little shocked last Friday morning when I was "let go" from Bellingham Travel after almost 24 years of employment. However, the more I thought about it, the more excited I got, I was so excited I felt bad about it--really, who is excited about losing their job?!?
Today was my last day and it was great! I felt very loved and appreciated by my co-workers (love them!), my husband, friends and family. Jeff took me out for lunch at my favorite place - D'Annas, and brought me 2 dozen roses (24 years). The girls at work brought yummy food to munch on, flowers,special gifts, kind words, and Abby made an awesome chocolate cake. FOOD was the theme of the day. After all those years together they know me very well!
I always thought (to myself), "when I leave Bellingham Travel I'm taking the fat hippo with me", well, I did! Just a little reminder of my years at Bellingham Travel.
I don't think I'll give up travel consulting completely, my boss offered me an "outside sales" position. I guess that means having my favorite clients over to my home for a cup of coffee, planning their travel, and make money doing it - how cool is that? I'll keep you posted on that as my life settles into retirement. I'm going to take a few weeks off to clean closets, paint our ceilings, watch Wyatt's Lacrosse games, and take a trip to Napa with my honey for our 20th anniversary.
The Travel Industry has changed a lot in the last 30 years. I started out in the 1980's without a computer, phoning in reservations to the airlines and typing itineraries - now days anyone can be a "Travel Agent", booking their own travel on personal computers. It's a hard business to be in today. However, not everyone can be a "Travel Consultant", which I consider myself to be after 30 years of "Travel" experience. I hope you will still need me to "consult" you on your future travel plans from time to time.
7 comments:
24 years! Wow! Congrats on your new lack of vocation, and enjoy your new free schedule! Your plans sound great! Having TIME is true luxury!!
So glad to hear your positive response to this change. You will always be my favorite travel "consultant". How about NYC in the fall?!?
Congratulations Kathi,
Your experience and wonderful service in a changing business made you one of the best.. I'm certain you will be greatly missed by all your clients.
Have a great time enjoying this new adventure in your life...its always full of changes and chances to grow. Knowing you it will be done well with wonderful results.
Come visit when you need some Big City time.
So many families were blessed by the fun trips you planned for them. All of the good times and memories are a credit to the fine job you did for so many clients.
I'll always treasure our FAM trips!
A new chapter with a great attitude, sounds like a win win.
Hugs ;)
You'll always be the best travel agent ever! I remember the day you called me and said.. Your family needs to go to Disneyland and I found an amazing deal!! We are so thankful for that trip:) thank you for your many years of travel advise. Enjoy some down time. Maybe..plant a garden;) love ya!
I knew something I loved was missing from the office today...THE HIPPO!
Kidding, I do miss you but know we will be working together a lot in the future. You'll just be in your pajamas selling travel from home!
Love you,
Robin
I think back to the Kailani days, driving home in snow storms, going on trips together! You were truly one of the best - and still will be! As soon as I find some money I'll call my favorite Travel agent! Hugs to you - and I can't wait to see what God has in store for you!
Post a Comment